[TowerTalk] KLM-34XA insulator problems ?

wd4ngb@sprynet.com wd4ngb@sprynet.com
Sun, 4 May 1997 06:28:43 -0700

You have the information correct. The KT34XA is the "BEST" tribander
ever made. To get this kind of performance , it is large and uses dual
driven elements. It uses a complex system to eliminate the normal traps
found on other tribanders. I have participated in assembling a few of them and you need to plan it
taking days, not hours to do it correctly . Then
check, and recheck everything ! If you are a serious DXer, and can not
put up monobanders, this is for you. The UV problem unfortunately does exist. From what I have
seen,10 years is about time to remove and replace
the insulators. Seems that is the only negetive of the antenna.
Depending on your need, they do make a heavy duty boom version also.

On Sun, 4 May 1997, Morel Grunberg <morel.grunberg@telrad.co.il> wrote:
>My friend Moni, 4X6ZK is interested to buy a KLM-34XA
>six elements beam. He heard some rumors that the plastic
>insulators used are not UV stabilized and protected and
>they cracks after few years. It's that true ?
>
>By the way is this antenna still manufactured ? If I good
>remember from previous reports, this antenna is heavy and
>difficult to assembly but has a good reputations for the
>radiation performance and large bandwith. What's your
>experience with this item ?
>
>73 de Morel, 4X1AD
>
>--

                      " WHERE BIGGER IS BETTER"

                                    \      \   \   \    \    \     \
Bruce Richards/ WD4 No Good Bum      \      \   \   \    \    \     \
DX Web Page:                          \      \   \   \    \    \     \
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/wd4ngb \------\---\---\----\----\-----\
E-mail: wd4ngb@sprynet.com              \      \   \  |\    \    \     \
                                         \      \   \|X|\    \    \     \
                                          \      \   \X| \    \    \     \