[TowerTalk] Low beam vs. higher dipoles?

Jeff Shelton cshelton@pop.erols.com
Thu, 8 May 1997 21:41:15 -0500

I'm hoping Towertalk folks might be able to help me with my first
tower related decision -- whether or not I should bother putting one
up at all.

You see, I just moved to a new house, and my situation there will
allow me to put dipoles up in trees about 45-55 feet above ground.  I
can also put up a modest roof tower, but I will only be able to get a
beam up about 25 feet.  (BTW, I'm not complaining, this is a big
improvement over the no-outdoor-antenna townhouse we moved from!)

It seems to me that the higher dipole is clearly the way to go for 20
meters and down -- but what about fifteen?  25 feet is, after all, just about
a half-wavelength at 15 meters.  It seems to me that a roof tower and
a 2 or 3-element monobander for 15 might be enough better than the dipole
to be worth doing.  Or should I go for a 10 meter yagi, and pray for
sunspots?  Or just stick with wire antennas?

As may be obvious,  I've never owned a tower or rotatable antenna of
any description.  Any advice will be happily received . . .

                                 C. J. " Jeff" Shelton
                                 KS4TL