[TowerTalk] Wxproofing Connectors

Steve Maki steve@oakcom.com
Wed, 14 May 1997 21:09:31 -0400

>> approach. BTW, you'll never see a commercial joint that ISN'T totally
>> weatherproofed.
K7LXC

>I beg to differ.  Andrew, the maker of heliax, used to say their N
>connectors didn't need any additional WXproofing.  I think we all knew
>better, and it was interesting to see them recently come out with a
>WXproofing device that looks like a BY-finger toy.  But I have seen many
>a commercial installation without tape, etc., and they DO work.
>
>In fact on the roof of my office building, there are some bare N male
>connectors that have been in place for close to 10 years, and you can
>unscrew them and see they are still shiny and dry inside.  I would never
>install a connector without some form of WXproofing, but the gaskets do
>work wonders!
N6IG

Current standards in the cellular, PCS, and paging industries do
call for total, many layer weatherproofing no matter what kind of
connector is used (7/16 DIN seems to be replacing N).  It seems
like overkill to me but probably results from a history of poorly
installed connectors compounded in some cases by sloppy tape jobs
that only make matters worse.

It appears the industry as a whole has decided that overkill at
the time of install is easier and cheaper than troubleshooting
and replacing bad feedlines later.
--
Steve Maki K8LX
steve@oakcom.com