[TowerTalk] More antenna woes!

Chuck Sudds csudds@probe.net
Mon, 26 May 1997 12:50:42 -0500

A couple of months ago, I posted a message requesting hints and suggestions
before installing my new T2X rotor in my Rohn HDBX48 self-supporting tower.
I am turning a KLM KT34XA Tri-bander.

I received several great suggestions which I used when the new rotor was
installed (Thanks all!) There was some question if the T2X would have enough
clearance to turn in the top section without mounting the rotor plate up
side down. There was plenty of clearance and after the rotor plate was
redrilled to accept the T2X, the installation went smooth.

Since that time, we have experienced quite a few days with very high winds
and the KT34XA's mast turned in the rotor (No, I didn't pin it as I wanted a
fail-safe link.) I live in Harrison County, Iowa, on a farm.

Yesterday was a fine day for antenna work so me and a couple friends decided
to reposition the antenna to the proper heading. While inspecting the tower
on the way up, we found that THREE of the X-braces had rivits that had
sheared off and one X-brace had actually broke in half right up near the
rotor shelf!! Luckily, the tower is installed with the tilt-over base and
this is the way I plan to disassemble the whole mess as it is NOT safe to
climb in it's current condition!

I plan to replace the top two sections (the rest of the tower is in
excellent shape) and reinstall the T2X rotor and shelf at about the 16ft
level of the tower or possibly even lower, where the torque will be
distributed to a MUCH stronger section of the tower, and using a LONG mast
to rotate the antenna through the thrust bearing.

Does anybody know where I can purchase only the top two sections of the
HDBX48 tower??  Any other hints that I should consider before putting this
tower back up? Steve??

Thanks in advance.

73,

Chuck Sudds  K0TVD