[TowerTalk] Grounding Question

Bill Turner wrt@eskimo.com
Mon, 03 Nov 1997 05:31:27 GMT

Somebody wrote:

>>I have learned through the school of hard knocks to ground all your
>>equipment to a single point.  Don't use a buss bar type ground behind the
>>desk.  Ground everything to the same point and then ground that point to a
>>ground rod.  Keeps ground loops from occuring....so I'm told...so I have
>>experienced.

There is some incorrect information here.  Ground loops are created
when ground current from two sources flows through the same conductor.
If your grounds all go to the "same point" and then through another
wire to ground, you have a ground loop through that second wire.  The
only way around it is to run totally separate wires to the ACTUAL
ground point, but even then if there is some resistance between the
ACTUAL ground point and any other point you call "ground" (such as the
third wire in your house wiring), you will still have a ground loop.

It may or may not matter as to how well your station functions, but
that's how it works.

73, Bill W7TI