[TowerTalk] Water pipe

Chris R. Burger crb@nanoteq.com
Tue, 11 Nov 1997 08:46:00 +200

K5GO wrote:
> If I am stacking antennas such as my little Cushcraft 2 Element 40 which
> is about 10-12 Ft above a 4 Element 20, I'll telescope a Schedule 40
> 1.00" galvanized water pipe inside the 1.5" one and drill and pin them
> near the top with  1/2 inch bolt.

That's EXACTLY what I did with my 402BA (2 el Shorty Forty) above a
205BA (5 el 20 short boom) for several years, without a problem.  I
moved the same tower to the new station, this time with a C3
tribander below the 40.  Within six months, a storm had bent the mast
about 30 degrees, just where it leaves the thrust bearing.  It was a
bitch to fix!

Bottom line:  On my new tower I went for the real stuff.

Chris R. Burger
ZS6EZ

PS:  Stan, please contact me--your return address doesn't work!