[TowerTalk] Bucket/Cherry Picker Equipment

Ken Freedman n1qqv@cshore.com
Sat, 15 Nov 1997 19:11:41 -0500

Hi Gang,

     I use this type of equipment on a regular basis, and there are
three things to be careful about:

1.  Observe the manufacturer's limits as to the grade the machine can
be parked on, and the max allowable weight in the bucket.  (By "grade"
I mean parking it on a spot that isn't level.) Some types of equipment
simply will not function if the limits are exceeded, other types will
do what the operator commands no matter what.  They will not tip over,
even at full horizontal extension, as long as the grade and the load in
the bucket are within tolerance.

2.  If you are going to operate the controls yourself, practice out in
the open until you feel confident that you can remember the control
motions.  You can do a lot of damage to yourself, the machine and
anything nearby if you move the wrong way and bang the machine into a
nearby object!  (Like your tower.)

3.   If it's electric, make sure the battery is fully charged.  Most
electrics have a meter or LED display to tell you the state of the
battery.  If it runs on propane and/or gasoline, a full tank is a great
idea.  I can tell you from personal experience that it's embarrassing
to find yourself stranded 50 feet in the air!

     That said, they are marvelous tools that will save you time, money
and much elbow grease.  On top of that, they are downright fun to use.

73, Ken

Ken Freedman
AKA: N1QQV/QRP  VE, EC Madison CT, QRP-L
Living Proof That, "You don't have to be a blonde to be light headed!"