[TowerTalk] painted towers

William Till wtill@bordercity.com
Sun, 16 Nov 1997 02:33:47 -0700

At 11:03 AM 11/15/97 -0500, you wrote:
>In a message dated 97-11-14 23:30:03 EST, bsasek@kvoa.com writes:
>
><< The FAA requires towers that are painted, to be painted in seven alternate
> stripes of red and white, with red being at both the top and bottom of the
> tower.  Each of the 7 stripes are of equal length, whether the tower is 200
> feet, or 2000 feet tall.
> Those broadcast towers that are not painted, are required to have strobes
> on them running day and nite.
> Towers under 200 ft normally are not required to be either painted or
> strobed, unless in close proximity of an airport.
> 73, Bernie W7KQ
>  >>

>If we're going to be exact, the paint color is a specific shade of orange and
>white. It is alternated every one seventh of the height, begining and ending
>with orange. Strobes do run day and night, however their intestity changes
>during the day. Lighting for painted towers is strictly regulated to
>type-accepted fixtures. The top beacon contains redundant bulbs, also type
>approved (= expensive). Lights on painted towers are only on from dawn until
>dusk. Even the blinker for lighted towers is type approved!
>
>If you have a Rohn catalog, you can see the exact lighting scheme for various
>heights of towers. It makes guessing at commercial tower heights a little
>more scientific.
>
>73 and DX,
>
>Tom, K5RC/7

Yes. The colors are designated as International Orange and (believe it!)
International White. Transport Canada and Industry Canada specifications are
very similar to the U.S. I do think that  enforcement of the prescribed 1/7
paint pattern is a bit less stringent in Canada, though. Many towers just
have alternating red and white sections with red at top and bottom.

Strobes are required on everything over 300'. Below that, flashing red lighting.

73

Bill - VE5FN