[TowerTalk] Force 12: rivets, hardware

force12@interserv.com force12@interserv.com
Mon, 17 Nov 1997 18:07:41 -0800 (PST)

Good afternoon, Steve.

Need to make a correction on your longevity statement and I hope everyone
who read it also reads this one! The 3 year statement is quite incorrect.

Antennas using the current Force 12 mechanical techniques (e.g. riveted
element junctions) have been around a long time. Under the name "Force 12",
the line is more than 6 years old. The C-3 alone has been around for 4 years
(reference the latest sale ad in CQ and QST).

Riveted antennas have been in use at my location since 1978. Antennas that
eventually became the prototypes for the Force 12 product line line were
built 8 years ago. I had built antennas privately for several years and
utilized a variety of element junction techniques, including fully welded
joints. I don't recommend this approach, as making changes is quite
difficult!

When making the decisions for element junctions, we selected the method that
had proven to be the best over time. For the proper size element segments,
closed end rivets are the best technique. Larger diameters where the tubing
is thick enough to not compress are better served with machine screws or
bolts.

If anyone has an ARRL Antenna Book around, the subject of riveted junctions
is addressed there, also.

Have a good day and 73,
			Tom, N6BT
			Force 12 Antennas and Systems