[TowerTalk] RF/ANT relays

C. Logan Dietz dietz@texas.net
Thu, 20 Nov 1997 14:14:57 -0600

I home brew all my antenna switch boxes.  There are many DPDT 12V relays that
will work, including from Radio Shack.  I don't think I save any $, but I get
the configuration I want.  I like to have several antennas on one band with
the ability to switch in any combination from one to all.  I use a single dpdt
12v relay with the 2 poles in parallel and wired so that the antenna is
grounded when not selected or when power is off.  I use 24 volts on the line
to overcome resistance and to provide positive switching.

I put everything in a cast aluminum box and mount it to a tower leg for good
grounding.  I am convinced this method has helped in the lightning protection
area too.  Of course, I dont think it would do much in the case of a direct
hit.

Chuck, KZ5MM