[TowerTalk] Maintenance of "Natural Towers"

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Sun, 23 Nov 1997 10:03:12 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 97-11-23 02:15:52 EST, ki0dz@juno.com writes:

> What is your opinion of a Colorado Blue Spruce?  (Mine is about 30 ft.
>  high.)  Is there a way to install beams without ruining the
>  value/appearence of the tree (thinking down the road when I'd sell this
>  place)?  I presently use my spruce to hang a 6M dipole vertically and as
>  an endpoint for my G5RV.

Hi, Mary-Frances --

     I'm no arborist so am not sure what a CBS is. Nonetheless, my point was
that a tree with a central trunk is the most suitable for yagi installations.
Trees with multi-trunks (oak, etc.) are not.

    You have to do medium pruning to the tree besides topping it. Some
branches are cut off on the way up to clear a path to bring the rotator,
mast, cables, etc. up the tree. Others are cut off to clear a tram path
(usually 2-4 towards the top). And of course you have to make sure that new
growth will take a couple of years to reach the antenna. The trick is to
leave enough live growth to continue bringing sap up.

     The saving grace is that EVERYTHING will grow back eventually including
new growth out the top. A year later you won't even notice where you did most
of the pruning.

73,  Steve   K7LXC