[TowerTalk] loosening rusted bolts/tower joints

Randy Farmer w8fn@ibm.net
Wed, 01 Oct 1997 20:31:15

>   I have seen quite a bit of talk about using liquid wrench or WD40 to
>break free rusted bolts or tower sections.  If that doesn't do the trick,
>let me recommend a trick we use at work that always does the trick....

Don't know if anybody's mentioned it before, but the **absoulte best**
thing I've ever seen for breaking loose badly rusted hardware of any type
is a product called KROIL, made by Kano Laboratories in Nashville, TN. This
stuff is absolutely magic. I've used it on cruddy rusted U-bolts, auto
exhaust systems and all kinds of other seemingly impossible jobs. Just
spray it on, wait a minute or two, and back the nut off or the bolt out.
The stuff has essentially zero surface tension and the manufacturer claims
that it will wick into a millionth of an inch crevice. I have no reason to
disbelieve the claim.

That's the good news. The bad news is that it's not sold over the counter.
You can get it only direct from the factory (whose address I don't have
handy now -- all my stuff is still packed away from my recent move to NTX)
in case lots. I would think that a web search for Kano Labs would turn up
an address. They also advertise in trade journals like Machine Design. I
originally found out about Kroil by way of my dad, who used to work in an
Alcoa aluminum rolling mill, where they used it by the barrel.

A few years ago, three or four of us motorheads at work got together and
bought a case of aerosol cans. The factory doesn't mind selling it to
individuals; they just don't sell it retail. Perhaps Steve would consider
stocking it at Tower Tech.

Try this stuff. It really works!

73...
Randy, W8FN