[TowerTalk] Ideas/Options for BIG GAIN antennas????

Bill Turner wrt@eskimo.com
Tue, 07 Oct 1997 00:53:17 GMT

On Mon, 06 Oct 1997 14:19:12 -0500, Bryan <bryan@prodistributors.com>
wrote:

>	When we talk about directional gain antennas,
>the discussion usually centers on yagis.  Well, I need
>some help in a different area.
>
>	This past weekend I was visiting with a ham buddy
>that works for a local electrical utility company.  It
>seems that they are getting ready to replace a HUGE number
>of 35-40 foot utility poles.  They are going to be selling
>these poles for almost nothing just to get them moved off
>their yard.  If you buy a lot of them, they will even deliver
>and dig the holes for them.
>
>	Here is the opportunity.  Basically unlimited supply
>of 35-40 foot poles, plenty of wire, cable, and hardware, and
>lots of ACRES on the ranch where our contest station is located.
>Space is not a problem, no neighbors, no CC&R, no powerlines.  Only
>occupants are cows, prairie dogs, and Armadillos and we don't
>accept complaints from them
>
>WHAT ARE THE OPTIONS FOR SOME REAL GAIN ANTENNAS USING THESE
>POLES AND THE SPACE?  Main limitation seems to be tallest poles are only
>about 40 feet.  What are the options available other than yagis?
>
>Comments and input will be appreciated.
>
>Bryan W5KFT
You can get some real high gain, but with only 40 feet of height, your
radiation is going to be at a relatively high angle.  You will be
REALLY LOUD close in, but the long skip DX won't hear you well at all.
I'd say forget it and get some height.

73, Bill W7TI