[TowerTalk] High Antenna

george fremin iii geoiii@bga.com
Tue, 7 Oct 1997 18:11:43 -0500 (CDT)

>Bill Fisher and I have been bantering back and forth on a topic that I feel
>is now worth bringing to the reflector...I just recently installed a 6 el
>10m yagi on a 28 foot boom ( former klm 610) which had been recently yagi
>optimized by W4EA...with this antenna at the 145 foot level on my tower it
>is 1-2 s units down from my other 2 antennas on 10m ,a 7 el on a 42 ft boom
>at 45 feet, and a 8 el on a 48 ft boom at 55 ft...I think on the paths that
>I have tested that the 6 el is just too high...Bill thinks that something
>else is wrong....I have tested the new 6 el on the LU-PY path in the day
>tim, and the VK-ZL path at night..I realize that this is by no means a
>valid test, but I think that N4KG would certainly agree with me that this
>thing is too high...

I have had the good luck to have operated at N5AU through
the good and bad years of the solar cycle.  On 10, 15 and 20
meters we had alot of diffrent antennas to chose from.  Over
time I found that each had their own merits.

Unless the tower space is "needed" for something else I
would leave this antenna up and use it - you have other antennas
down low to use and my guess is that you will find the
high antenna to be very useful - as many have said.

>The new 10 m 6 has some nice characteristics though...it is extremely
>quiet, ground wave and back scatter contacts are much better...to name a
>few...

If you are finding the antenna is better for ground wave and
backscatter paths - it would seem to indicate that it is
working.

--

George Fremin III
Austin, Texas C.K.U.     "It is hard to be in one place at the same time."