[TowerTalk] Non-resonant guy lengths

T. A. Russell n4kg@juno.com
Wed, 8 Oct 1997 01:10:01 -0600

INSULATING  GUY  WIRES  -  de  N4KG

Put an insulator as close to the tower as possible.  Rember, the
tower conducts and you basically have a conductor from insulator
to insulator acting as a parasitic element RIGHT  UNDER your antenna.
My first insulators are 3 to 5 ft from the tower.

I like to put my SECOND isulator 12 ft ( or less ) down from the first.
This
is 75% of a half wavelength on TEN  Meters and should be invisible to the
antenna.  For really good isolation, another 10 to 12 ft piece is nice.
Remember to cut the guy wire about  one foot shorter to allow for the
loop ends of the guy wraps.

>From that point,  lengths of 27 ,  40,  or 54 ft are non-resonant  in
the
CONVENTIONAL  bands.  Unfortunately, they ARE resonant in the
WARC bands.  Can you spell  P H I L L Y S T R A N ?

Better yet, can you AFFORD  Phillystran?  Call Texas  Towers!

(Gerald, my address is OK in the Callbook!  :-)  )

de  Tom  N4KG