[TowerTalk] matching bolt grades to the application

Don Moman ve6jy@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Thu, 9 Oct 1997 21:36:34 -0600 (MDT)

My choice would be likely the grade 5 bolts, a good compromise between
strength and brittleness. Gr 8 is very strong but in some cases will fail
where a Gr 5 won't - I routinely lost 1/2 inch Gr 8's in a pinned mast
(using 2 of them) turning a large log periodic and replaced with Gr 5 and
they have lasted 5 years or so. They may be slightly deformed at the shear
pressure points but they don't break clean like the Gr 8 ones did.

73 Don

VE6JY is Don Moman               email: ve6jy@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Box 127 Lamont, Alberta
T0B 2R0  (403) 895-2925