[TowerTalk] REAL HIGH

Bill Fisher, W4AN w4an@contesting.com
Fri, 10 Oct 1997 18:25:03 -0400 (EDT)

A couple of messages to me privately about what is high and what is not.
When we are talking about REAL high for 10M, I think you are talking 160' or
more over flat ground.  Maybe LPL will confirm or deny.

My station is on a hilltop that drops 250' in all directions quite fast
(steep).  My HIGH 10M yagi is at 125'.  Just a guess, but I believe it
thinks it is REAL high.

More data points taken today...  3 antennas tested, all were HG105CA's.

1. 5/5 @ 50/25
2. 5 @ 125
3. 5 @ 25

I checked with about 5 SE stations.  Everyone in south South America (PY,
LU) said that the 5/5 was the best antenna, the high 5 was 2nd, and last was
the 5 at 25'.

I check with two stations in the carib, and both said that the 5el at 25'
was the best (by far), the stack was 2nd closely followed by the high 5
element.

I also observed that the HIGH antenna was much quieter than the other two
antennas.  I noted that K4ISV and NQ4I also observed this on their high
antennas.  I had not read anything about a super high antenna being quiet
before this discussion.  I wonder if LPL and others with SUPER high antennas
for 10M could post their observations?

Lastly, it is interesting to me that so far I can not find a time where the
HIGH antenna is the best one.  I'm sure this will change with more tests.
Last year I did very well with just that one antenna at 125'.  It looks like
I should improve on last years results.

73

Bill, W4AN

Bill Fisher, W4AN (EX KM9P)