[TowerTalk] Beam Orientation to Wind

Tom Osborne w7why@mail.coos.or.us
Sat, 11 Oct 1997 00:06:49 +0900

"Dick Green". wrote:

> I know I've seen this information somewhere, but I can't remember where
> (maybe it was here.) For the typical HF Yagi, what orientation to the wind
> produces the least stress on the beam and tower? In other words how should
> the beam be pointed so that it "rides" the wind the best?
>
> 73, Dick, WC1M

Hi Dick.  I don't have any scientific data to prove it, but my rotor is
about shot, and when we get substancial winds, it always turns away from
the wind.  The winter winds here always come from the south and when it
blows, the antenna drifts to the north.  I would imagine that is the
direction with the most wind resistance.  73
Tom W7WHY