[TowerTalk] Antenna Height Optimum for Caribbean/South America

T. A. Russell n4kg@juno.com
Sun, 12 Oct 1997 06:22:18 -0600

re: Antenna Height Optimum for Caribbean/South America?

Good Question Rod!  (N5HV  de  N4KG)

A Tribander at 35 to 40 ft will cover all of the higher angles supported
by the ionosphere, even during high sunspot activity, assuming FLAT
ground.  For sloping ground, even lower may be warranted.  That is why
I believe and recommend that everyone have a low tribander if possible.
(For USA contests, my 40 ft TH7 is often 20 dB better than my 80 ft TH6
at distances of 600 to 900 miles due to the pattern null of the higher
ant!)

The situation from W4 to the Caribbean and Central America gets a
little tricky.  During mid-day, a high angle two hop mode works fine.
Later in the afternoon and early evening, the MUF drops, especially
during lower sunspot activity.  Under these conditions, the higher
angles are no longer supported and we must reach these closer
in DX stations in a single (LOW  ANGLE) hop under 10 degrees
while more northern stations can still use 2 hops and lower antennas.
Eventually, the skip can lengthen to where we no longer hear the
Caribbean station (or only via backscatter) and a thundering pileup
of northern and western stations.

Interestingly, the MUF to Africa seems to stay higher for longer
periods of time and I usually park my 40 ft high TH7 due east.
This same TH7 is often my best antenna to Europe, especially
on 20 meters in the afternoon. Late in the day, I turn my 80 ft high
TH6 to South America / Caribbean. (Higher would be even better
for the late afternoon/evening conditions to SA/CA/Carib. from W4)

Now that I have retired from competitive contesting, I guess it won't
hurt to let the cat out of the bag.  Put up those LOW tribanders now!
(Yes, my higher monobanders are usually better at night and for
opening and closing the bands.)

de  Tom  N4KG