[TowerTalk] Heading off an antenna restriction?

Bill Cotter bcotter@pop.uky.edu
Mon, 13 Oct 1997 14:56:17 -0400

Scott,

IMHO: Get your butt outside and get it up asap! Tonight, if you have
to. The sooner the better. Try your best to outrun any beauracratic
action and ask for forgiveness rather than permission. Your wisdom in
securing a permit for the foundation can be played for all that it's
worth in a council meeting. You and the building inspector are going to
team up so he will NOT look foolish and embarrassed for issuing the
permit. He probably will have enough pull with the council to affect
the outcome. His permission and the PRB-1 should go a long way as a
"good faith effort to do the right thing". If you have the tower up and
have met all the engineering spec's, the likelyhood of anyone forcing
you to tear it down is less than the ease of stopping you from putting
it up beforehand.

I am fortunate that Nicholasville, Kentucky is a small community
outside of the Lexington metro area. Here we seldom ever make someone
tear down a building, shed or other unmovable object once it is built.
Instead the humble homeowner requests forgiveness in the form of a
variance ;^) I spoke with one of the council members about installing a
85ft #25 and a 120ft #45 on a one acre lot, did I need to obtain some
kind of permit? "Of course not. We don't have time for small stuff like
that. Just don't put it on the easement or within the 15ft zone around
your perimeter lot-line"

Good luck tonight,

73 es gl bill n4alg

At 11:21 PM 10/11/97 -0500, you wrote:
>SITUATION:
>
>I live in the City of La Crosse, Wisconsin.  I plan in installing a 72
foot
>self supporting tower on a corner city lot, roughly 165'x 75', with no
CC&R
>or deed restrictions.  (see plot of land and tower placement at
>http://www.QTH.com/ka9fox/plot.gif)  The tower is fairly large, the
base is
>4 feet wide and the tip will be about 2 feet wide.  Tower is rated for 22
>sq feet of wind load at 85 mph.  Proposed antenna is 30 foot boom yagi
>(Force 12 C4XL) plus 6m and 2m beams (and wire dipoles).
>
>City building inspector is familiar with amateur radio and somewhat
>familiar with PRB-1 and advises me that there are no zoning
regulations for
>amateur radio tower installations, but asked me to voluntarily get a
permit
>for the tower base, which I did.  The tower base has been inspected and
>approved by the building inspector.
>
>Concrete was poured today and the first section of tower is in the air (8
>feet). Neighbor across the street is extremely upset about the
installation
>for aesthetic and property value reasons.  This neighbor is canvassing
the
>neighborhood, probably to gain support for some sort of action against my
>installation.
>
>QUESTION:
>
>What is my best plan of action?  I don't know this for a fact, but I am
>assuming that the only thing the neighbor can do is to go to the City
>Council and ask them create a restriction for my type of installation.  I
>was thinking of getting some information on PRB-1 from the ARRL and get
>that information to all city council members ASAP.  Am I over reacting?
>
>Any ideas, thoughts, supporting documents, etc., would be greatly
appreciated.

>73 - Scott KA9FOX

>INTERNET SOLUTIONS - Affordable web page design and storage
>Scott Neader (608)788-1234 / FAX (608)787-0100 / neader@QTH.com
>KA9FOX Contesting and DXing Site: http://www.QTH.com/KA9FOX
>Free Ham Radio Classified Ads:  http://www.QTH.com
>

>--
>Search:                   http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search

| Bill Cotter, N4ALG           e-mail: bcotter@pop.uky.edu |
| 173 Carolyn Lane               Home: (606) 887-5563,2402 |
| Nicholasville, KY 40536-9340   Work: (606) 323-6474      |