[TowerTalk] Tower Height Apprehension????

Chris R. Burger crb@nanoteq.com
Tue, 14 Oct 1997 17:08:52 +200

WB6STW asked:
>With winter winds not hurricane force. How did you feel during
>the first year with your beam moving about having your tower up?
Terrified!

I remember watching in a thunderstorm as my 2 element 40 meter beam
flopped about atop a 5 m mast, with the mast, boom and elements all
flexing terribly.  On several occasions, the element tips collided
with an audible crash.

Guess what:  There was no damage, and the antenna continued to work
as before.  If it was designed right and you didn't cut any corners,
you'll learn to relax in due course.

Chris R. Burger
ZS6EZ