[TowerTalk] Spreading HD Thimbles

Kimo C. Chun kimo@lava.net
Wed, 15 Oct 1997 19:49:48 -1000 (HST)

K4RO Kirk, asked about spreading the heavy thimbles. Often we will also
use a vise on a bench, certainly safer. But to spread (i.e., twist) open
the thimble we use one of the Rohn Anti-torque Bars (or whatever you call
them). These are a little over one foot long, about an inch and a half
wide and a quarter inch thick. Since by many accounts they don't do much
to help the tower in their designed task they do better at prying open
the thimbles.

We have even gotten good enough with two of them to do it out in the
field without a bench vise. It sometimes helps to stand on one of them in
that case. Try it with two of them, you'll figure it out. It's kind of
like learning to use chopsticks (though hardly similar in practice).

Good Luck.

Aloha,

Kimo Chun, KH7U

One of the many antenna farmers at KH7R, Multi-Multi. CU in CQWW!