[TowerTalk] Leveling a tower

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Fri, 17 Oct 1997 20:08:50 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 97-10-17 16:48:38 EDT, k1vr@juno.com writes:

<< K1VR:  Start with a broom handle.  Tie a string at one end and hang a
 weight to the end of the string. Slip through tower at top of present
 height (wx/not broom handle is level is irrelevant). Step back and
 eyeball the string and tower.  The string is your "plumb bob."  Compare
 the edge of the tower with the line of the string and you'll know. Can't
 beat the price or speed. >>

      That works for me to get the base of a tower plumb before the cement
truck arrives.

     If I'm stacking tower sections, I'll take a bubble level up to each guy
level and have the guys on the ground crank on the respective comealongs
until it's plumb.

     If you've got something in the vicinity that's plumb (the side of the
house, a nearby cellular tower or some other structure) you can use that to
sight along as well. I recently plumbed one tower of a two tower station with
a bubble level and then used it to plumb the second tower (by sighting
through it to the other tower). I also stood back with a piece of string with
a wrench on the end of it and sighted up the string to plumb the tower. The
wind wasn't blowing TOO badly so it was close enough - actually better than
it was. You can be out 3 inches in 100 feet and still meet tower building
specs.

73,   Steve  K7LXC