[TowerTalk] Re: Tower stuff

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Sun, 19 Oct 1997 10:48:13

At 11:51 PM 10/18/97 EDT, Fred Hopengarten wrote:

>The reference to additional liability insurance that you saw goes like
>this.  In general, your homeowners insurance will insure you for
>liability against all manner of torts up to $250-300,000.  I always
>suggest that people pay the additional $50-150 per year and get an
>"umbrella" policy to cover you up to $1M or $3M or $5M, because crazy
>juries bring home crazy verdicts. The umbrella goes over the top of your
>auto and  your homeowners isnurance.

Amen, Fred!  I'd only add that here in WV the cost for the $1M level is
more like $225.  However, you can get the liability portion of your
homeowner's insurance (only) bumped to $1M for about $25/year (again, hr in
WV).  Tells me that car accidents generate most of the big judgments, and
so am umbrella probably is worthwhile, but even if money is tight, the
extra homeowner's coverage is pretty cheap...

For whatever it's worth, though, I think I'd be careful about disclosing to
anyone that I'd raised my liability coverage coincident with installing a
tower.  Even though the insurance company doesn't think it is a special
risk, a lot of folks would reason that "that #$@% ham wouldn't have raised
his insurance limits unless there was more risk."  and such "logic" could
extend to zoning boards!

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com

"That's WEST Virginia.  Thanks and 73"