[TowerTalk] Ham IV problem

Chris R. Burger crb@nanoteq.com
Mon, 27 Oct 1997 14:57:42 +200

I'm forwarding this message from ZS6AWK, who is not a Reflector
subscriber.  I will handle all correspondence, and make sure that
both he and the Reflector hear about the final conclusion.

It's a problem that I've seen in a number of Tailtwisters, but for
the past few years I've not been high enough in Maslow's pyramid to
worry about it!

Chris R. Burger
ZS6EZ

>From ZS6AWK:

I opened my rotator to give it a service after it has been on
the tower for quite a few years. After putting it back together
again it would not operate properly again. When I operate the
rotator in a CW or CCW direction it does move in that direction
but the meter needle starts to wander around its previous position.
Not much but enough to irritate you. When you release the CW or CCW
switch it does actually settles on the new position. But one cannot
actually check with the meter the movement of the antenna. Only
afterwards, to my big frustration :-(

I checked and recheck the wiring from the manual. Cannot see anything
wrong. The only thing that I am not 100% sure of is the quality of
the cap. But hy can the rotor part influence the meter part ? I
thought the metering circuit is totally separate from the induction
motor part ? There is also a reduction in the motor voltage when I
operate it. It goes from 30 to 25VAC. But I had the same cable as
before.
As I understand it the reduced voltage will make the rotor weaker
but why is it influencing the volt meter ? The dirction pot is also
clean. I checked it by moving the pot rotor by hand. The meter
moves smoothly then.

Did anybody experience similar problems ? From some
electro-mechanical
expert ?  :-)

Danie Brynard
PO Box 15133,Lyttelton,0140,South Africa
GRID LOC: KG44CE,       Tel/Fax: (2712) 6640330