[TowerTalk] Chrome moly/end caps

Bill Coleman AA4LR aa4lr@radio.org
Mon, 27 Oct 97 16:17:43 -0500

On 10/13/97 9:00, CQK8DO@aol.com at CQK8DO@aol.com wrote:

><< Do not weld on 4130 in the high temper states ie yield strength over
> 100,000 PSI. The weld arc will locally destroy the high yeild strength
> you paid for and provide a discontinuity that provides a site for cracks
> to start.
>  >>

>Just got to reading the mail... I have to take issue with this as welding
>4130 is how we build aircraft fuselages, race car frames, etc....

But, typically, we don't use high-strength temper treated 4130. That's
what he's discussing.

> After
>welding is finished the steel is re-tempered in the area of the weld by a
>process called normalizing...

This is done to releave the internal stresses that might have formed in
the process of cooling after each weld was done. It is not the same has a
high-strength tempering that is done on the ENTIRE mast.

And, ironically, Piper aircraft build a large number of 4130-framed
airplanes, and used TIG welding WITHOUT normalizing. There has yet to be
evidence of a manufacture-induced weld-stress fracture. Something to say
for quality jigging and professional welding....

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901