[TowerTalk] Re: [DX] INSTALLING HEAVY MASTS

T A RUSSELL n4kg@juno.com
Mon, 27 Oct 1997 23:53:20 -0600

INSTALLING  LONG   HEAVY   MASTS    ...de   N4KG

Some time ago, an excellent suggestion was made to TOWERTALK
on how to install heavy masts using a 12 ft Rohn GIN Pole.  The steps
are outlined below:

1 -  Assemble the tower to the first guy level and install guys.
       (Or, if a heavy concrete base is used, assemble 20 ft of tower)

2 -  Next to this tower, and secured to it, assemble an equal number
       of Rohn 25 tower sections, PLUS  ONE, as a temporary support.

3 -  Attach the GIN  POLE at the top of the second (Rohn 25) tower.

4 -  Attach the GIN  Pole ROPE above the center of gravity on the mast.
      (Several properly tied clove hitches or other clamping mechanisn)

5 - Raise the mast above the permanent tower and lower down inside
     the permanent tower.

6 -  Remove the temporary Rohn 25 tower.

My friend KD4WS has used this technique to successfully remove a
20 foot mast from a Rohn 45 tower he bought and then reinstalled
at his home QTH using the same procedure.  He used power-pulls
to secure the Rohn 25 tower to the larger Rohn 45.

de  Tom  N4KG