[TowerTalk] Re: Gondor

Steve Sawyers n0yvy sawyers@inav.net
Wed, 03 Sep 1997 23:16:37 -0500

Travis Roach wrote:

> I like your idea of Gondor the Condor, but am having problems visualizing
> how the V-belt pulleys are connected to the UniStrut.  What size are the
> pulleys and how far above the UniStut is the lowest point of the pulleys?
>
> I getting ready to replace my old beam with a new one and would like to
> build a Gondor.
>
> Thanks
>
>    Travis Roach  K4VVM   (ex WA4DOR)
>
>    5993 Bridle Path
>    Bartlett, TN 38134
>
>    Home (901) 382-4981  Work (901) 386-4070  Fax (901) 388-1170
>    Email troach@socomm.net  or  k4vvm@juno.com

The pulleys actually extend down into the U of the unistrut and almost
touch the bottom so the trolley cable is captivated and cannot jump out
of the v groove. To hold the pulleys in place I drilled holes in some
1-1/2 x 1/4 inch strap for bolts to serve as axles, then carefully
aligned the pulley with the bottom of the Unitstrut and welded the
straps in place. Used washers on the bolts to keep the pulleys centered.
Very low tech design and assembly but it works.

     \_/ <--------- v Pulley

   ||/-\||
    |___| <--------UniStrut

Hope this ^ comes out - use Courier font.

de n0yvy steve