[TowerTalk] Building Code Units of Measure

K4OJ@aol.com K4OJ@aol.com
Mon, 8 Sep 1997 22:59:33 -0400 (EDT)

interesting, indeed

in my trade, the building materials business, the metal connectors which tie
the lumber together are often promoted at a given load capability....but
finding out what that really means is tough because:

they all use different safety factors.....some as high as 5 to 1

i.e. if it claims it can hold a thousand pounds, it has been tested up to
5,000 before failure, etc....

the trick, when comparing one mfg versus another is often this difference in
safety factor.....whilst they all are of course made to meet a given building
code requirement, and arguably the cheap one (with the narrower safety
matrgin) does meet that number....which one is best....and at what price....

like most choices in life, we purchase what we feel comfortable with.....but,
I don't care what ya say, Fred.....I feel real comfortable on 55G......its
"manly" stuff.....kinda like 427 V8s and half inch drive socket
sets.....t'ain't for no sissies.

k4oj