[TowerTalk] Driving ground rods

Bill Coleman AA4LR aa4lr@radio.org
Tue, 16 Sep 97 09:29:33 -0400

On 9/15/97 17:25, Barry Kutner at w2up@itw.com wrote:

>Hi Towertalkians:
>I recall dscussion several months ago about driving ground rods.
>Somone mentioned using an electric jackhammer. I've called a few
>rental places, and what I've come up with is this:
>1. A 32 lb. electric jackhammer. It requires a special square bit,
>and you can't just shove a ground rod in it.
>2. A 66 lb "ground rod driver" made for that purpose.
>
>#1 apparently won't hold a round bit.
>#2 seems a bit unwieldy to carry 66 lbs up a 6 ft ladder
>
>Other ideas invited...

I built a manual ground rod driver. It consists of 12" of 1" galvanized
steel nipple (thick wall water pipe with threads at both ends), a couple
of pipe couplers, a pipe cap (goes inside the coupler to close one end),
15 pounds of dumbell weights and collars.

Basically, it is a 15 pound hammer with a 1 foot throw that never misses.
You put it over the rod and keep slamming it down until the driver
reaches the ground. Then you drive the last foot with an ordinary
sledgehammer.

Typical ground rod takes about 5-15 minutes to drive, depending on the
soil. In my typical Georgia clay soil (with lots of small rocks), it took
nearly 15 minutes to drive the rod for my R7000. Took only 5 minutes to
drive the rod just outside my shack (that soil was backfill against my
basement wall).

If you have soft soil, driving a rod with an ordinary sledgehammer is
rather effective. I drove the rod just outside W4AN's mountaintop shack
this way -- but that was very soft forest floor soil. (I'd have used my
driver, had I known Bill was going to put a rod in) Biggest problem with
a sledgehammer is missing the rod and having it hit the rod handle. You
tend to go through handles quick....

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
Quote: "Not in a thousand years will man ever fly!"
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901