[TowerTalk] trees as guy anchors

T. A. Russell n4kg@juno.com
Wed, 24 Sep 1997 07:40:59 -0600

Hi  Stan -

Three years ago we had a microburst or small tornado come through my
woods
knocking down many dozens of trees including a 75 year old Oak and 75
year
old Beech.  Two 70 ft poplars fell on top of the top guy for my 130 ft
Rohn 35 tower.
THE GUYS HELD THE TREES UP!   I used guy grips throughout, including
at the anchors.  The guy wire was 1/4 inch and appeared to stretch a bit,
allowing the top of the tower to be pulled over about a foot.  When the
trees
were removed, the tower straightened up and I merely retightened the
guys.
I have seen two tower failures where guys pulled through cable clamps.
I am a BIG believer in guy grips!  (The anchors were 4 ft screw ins w/6"
plate).

73,  Tom  N4KG