[TowerTalk] Separating Aluminum Tower Sections

Pat Masterson bat@grumman.com
Sun, 28 Sep 1997 14:38:08 -0400 (EDT)

Jeff, I recently dismantled a 40' Heights aluminum tower that had been up
for 30 years. I worked my way down with a bottle jack and a few 4X4 and
2X10 blocks of wood. If you can use the wood cleverly, it'll spread the
stress out enough to not bend the aluminum. But you have to be very
patient. Put the jack in one corner as close to the leg as possible. Then
aplly some lifting pressure with it. Then rock the tower a little. It'll
ease out about a half inch. Then move to another leg and do likewise.
Dont pull too much out of the leg, or it will start to go crooked, and
jam the other legs. Use lots of liquid wrench before you start.
 Incidently, I am looking to buy 2 sections of 26" heights tower. Anybody
has some, let me know.

On Sun, 28 Sep 1997, Jeffrey Maass wrote:

> I've been offered five 8-foot sections of aluminum tower, but the owner
> has been unable to get them apart.
>
> Any tips? Any techniques (chemical or mechanical) to loosen seized pieces? I
> was considering jacks, but with aluminum I'm concerned about bending.
>
> 73,
>
> Jeff Maass       (jmaass@freenet.columbus.oh.us)      Amateur Radio K8ND
>       USPSA/IPSC # L-1192   NROI/CRO          NW of Columbus Ohio
>       25000 Members in 2000!
>

> --
> Search:                   http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search

*  Pat Masterson  B38-01,  Northrop Grumman,     *  Ham:KE2LJ
*  Plant 1, South Oyster Bay Rd.,                *  Packet: KE2LJ@KC2FD.NY
*  Bethpage, NY 11714                            *  President Grumman Amateur
*  email: bat@grumman.com   Fone: 516-346-6316   *  Radio Club  WA2LQO