[TowerTalk] lightning suppressor problem

ROBERT WANDERER aa0cy@robertwanderer.gardnerville.nv.us
Sun, 28 Sep 1997 18:54:01 -0700

Gas tubes usually fail in a shorted mode, although a "mother of all
strikes" could cause them to fail open.

RF Voltage can cause what's called glow mode if the tube is turned on
by a over voltage condition and the RF power is high enough. This may be the
case here (RF Voltage could turn the gas tube on by itself too) as the device
has been out of service for a while. 10W should not cause the problem under
normal circumstances. Every time the tube fires (or goes into glow mode) the
voltage needed to cause this condition drops because of gas contamination and
the deposition of conductive materials on the envelope. However, this should
take a few years to occur. Again, since you don't see a short, the tube is probably
good. You will need a device called a hi-pot tester to verify the tube's condition.

The voltage associated with the RF wattage can be obtained using the formula

V=(1.414) (X) ([SQR ROOT] {Wx50}).

X is the reflection coefficient related to the VSWR
of your system. For a VSWR of 1.5:1, X=1.2.
There's a nomograph in the ARRL Handbook
relating all these properties.

Hope this helps!
73, Bob AA0CY
<AA0CY@CONTESTING.COM>