[TowerTalk] Guy Grips with Rohn Torque Arms

C. Logan Dietz dietz@texas.net
Mon, 29 Sep 1997 16:54:26 -0500

Bill Simpson wrote:
 and used the 1/4 thimbles and

> have never had a problem one. The grips are still in great shape. At that
> time I was not aware of the need to use this larger thimble. Perhaps it
> is overkill or Rohn would be putting wider bars and consequently larger
> holes in them to accomodate the thimbles.
>
> I am just putting the 1/4 inch thimbles in and letting it work like the
> other tower has.

I am using the larger thimbles because the guy grip mfg says there is a minimum
radius of 1 1/8" that a 1/4" grip should go around.  However, I have taken down
several tall towers which had been up for about 20 years where strands of guy
wire were joined using two grips without benefit of thimbles.

One thing to note is the 3/8" thimbl3 fits better and is held better by the 1/4"
grip than a smaller thimble.  Of course, you could probably use an even larger
thimble.

Chuck, KZ5MM (ex: KE5FI)