[TowerTalk] Mobile antenna help

K7LXC K7LXC@aol.com
Wed, 1 Apr 1998 10:59:53 EST

In a message dated 98-03-31 23:31:47 EST, kb3aug@juno.com writes:

> I just bought a IC-706 and want to run mobile with it. Is anybody on the
>  reflector running a screwdriver antenna? I know I want a screwdriver,
>  just don't know which one. Can anybody be of some help. I'd like to get
>  the most bang for the buck. I like the way the High Sierra mounts look
>  but, is the BB3 a better antenna or is there something else out there?

      The Mobile Antenna Shoot-Outs I've read uniformly put the 'screwdriver'
antennas at the top - surpassed only by single frequency specials built
exlusively for the tests. I've just installed 2 of them on the new ICOM
rolling showroom motor home along with 2 of the ICOM AH-3 whip with auto tuner
set-up and the screwdriver is the better antenna.

      BTW, the ICOM bus is hitting the road and may be coming to a radio store
near you this summer. It'll be at Dayton, etc. There are over 3 dozen radios
on board and over a dozen antennas mounted on the top.

Cheers,  Steve   K7LXC