Re[2]: [TowerTalk] Re: Long mast, intermediate bearing

Henry G Chapoton chapoton@smtp-gw.gdls.com
Fri, 3 Apr 1998 12:47:11 -0500

     Ok, you got 2 things on me: guts and space.  I quit tramming 'cuz I
     didn't really feel comfortable with the setup, and didn't have the
     clear ground space to lay out the antennas.  I did do some smaller
     stuff on my R25.

     I put up my 3 el 40 (275#, 170') in pieces - Boom first, then tilted
     it and put the elements on.  Biggest thing I trammed was a 2el Wilson
     40 to 150' - to the mast (2"x1/4", unknown alloy, sold by Telrex).

     I think one of the biggest keys is what you feel comfortable with.
     The rigging to do a proper tram for a big beam can be substantial and
     it takes an experienced & disiplined ground crew.  I don't want to see
     someone get killed tramming up to the top of a mast that's secured
     only by a thrust bearing!!

     Greg
     na8v/4