[TowerTalk] Low Visibility Installation

Sandel, Kyle W SandelKW@bp.com
Sun, 5 Apr 1998 14:51:59 -0400

We're leaving Alaska for Ohio in the next 60 days. Despite my "best laid
plans" we purchased a home in a subdivision with CC&Rs. I'm still optimistic
that I can put up a tribander but my strategy will include a presentation to
the architectural review committee showing a very low impact
installation--Force 12 C3S and a tubular crank up limited to 60 feet.

One problem is finding the tubular crank up with a wind load rating of 4.9
to meet the 70mph standard in OH.  The US Tower's MA550 is advertised at 10
sq ft at 50mph rating but drops to 2.7 at 70mph. Otherwise this is a
satisfactory product.

Here are my questions:

1. Any experience with someone modifying the MA550 or like tower to meet the
needed windspeed spec either by reinforcement or house bracketing? US Tower
just says "talk to a PE" which is, of course, the technically correct answer
and I've purchased the plans but I'm not planning on buying their tower or
engaging a PE if the consensus is that there's no hope of this working. The
new home is a two story so a bracket at 18 to 20 feet should be no problem.

2. Any suggestions for other tubular-type towers that might get the desired
result with a reasonable budget, say less than $2,000?

3. I need a photo of a low visibility installation to show the architectural
committee. This is the opposite of the usual gigantic tower silhouetted
against the sky. More like a really small tribander on a light tower backed
by trees with a really big house underneath it.

4. Can I get email addresses from the folks who've been on the reflector
recently with their success stories about beating the P&Z boards using well
documented public service, testimonials etc? I'll pay for copying and
mailing of same.

Thanks to all

	73 Kyle AL7J