[TowerTalk] Slump testing?

Douglas Bradford kz5qdx@COMMUNIQUE.NET
Tue, 07 Apr 1998 13:32:48 -0500

J.P. Kleinhaus wrote:

> I am scheduled to pour concrete for my (long awaited) tower
> project on Friday.  I ordered 5000 PSI mix, but realize that
> short of performing a slump test on site, I have no way of knowing
> if the stuff being delivered will be up to spec.
>
> Any hints on doing this?  Has anyone actually done this before,
> or should I assume that since I ordered 500 PSI, I should end
> up with at least 4000 PSI ? :-)
>
> 73, J.P. W2XX

JP, 1st thing unless ur Concrete Plants are different where u live than
most of the rest of the country, they will deliver what u order.  I have
poured concrete in many different places. Always had delivered what
I ordered.

You mention the Slump test, How much slump do you want ? That
test has nothing to do with the strength of the concrete. True, the
amount of water to a certain degree will affect the strength. Bridges,
Interstate Hwy., and other project of that nature have about 2 1/2
to 3" slump. Roads usually have from 3000 to 5000#mix, Bridges
also have about the same mix. House slabs and Driveway will have
from 1500 to 2500 # mix.

U can Perform the slump test  But to have the cylinder test u
will have to get a testing lab to perform this. This will give u
the strength and U will have to wait 30 to 90 days, depending
on what test u want run. Special Press is used to break cylinders.

I am wondering why you want such a high strength concrete Mix.
If this is what Mnfg. requires, it is way way over kill. I wud say
example of putting up 30' of Rohn 55, guying it twice and placing
a 3 ele 2 meter beam on top,

Deal with a good Concrete Plant, u will get what u order. And if
u want it tested, They can tell u any number of companies in that
business that u can select from.

I know you are going to really enjoy the new installation. Wish u
well and let that first contact be a new country. In 78 when I put
mine up, I waited a week B4 I caught VR6TC, back then he was
only one there. Beam was TET  7 el tri band [no longer mnfg]
at 110'. I never will never forget that pileup and snagging him.

73  Brad  KZ5Q
Long Live CW
My Preferred Mode