[TowerTalk] Insurance

John Langdon jlangdon@outer.net
Wed, 8 Apr 1998 20:45:09 -0500

Thanks to all to responded to my post about insurance on towers.  Nickel
summary:

(1) Texas is different from most other states, but all states are
different.  You play the game by 50 sets of rules.  Some states require
riders for antennas, some do not
(2) Get it in writing.  If you accept what they say over the phone, all
ambiguity is resolved in favor of the insurance company.
(3) Read your policy.
(4) When you go to NYC and see all those giant insurance company buildings,
remember there is some policy holder's lost blood between every brick.
 They will take care of themselves, not you, unless you give them no
wriggle room.
(5) Rates for coverage very widely, and are not necessarily logical given
the risk associated with your tower, but may depend on a particular
company's situation in your area.
(6) Talk to the named agent, not to the office staff.
(7) There are often exclusions for rental property, temporary antennas, and
anything used for commercial purposes.
(8) Some people have had good luck with State Farm, some have had terrible
problems
(9) Allstate seems to be rated the most "ham friendly" of the big national
guys.  Also kudos for Nationwide, Farmers, Erie, Farm Bureau and Safeco.

I think I have enough info to at least tackle the situation properly.  I'll
do a follow up message when the coverage is squared away.  Thanks again and
73,

John N5CQ