[TowerTalk] Dunwoody Tornado

Jay Pryor jpryor@uga.cc.uga.edu
Fri, 10 Apr 1998 12:21:23

I never dreamed when I put up my rooftop tower two years ago that it would
be tested by a tornado coming down my Dunwoody, GA street -- but it was.
The tornado hit Wednesday night and fortunately we were much luckier than
our close neighbors.  There were two fatalities just two streets away, and
many neighbors have trees resting on (or in) their homes.

I don't know how strong the winds were at our house, but they certainly
were much greater than the 70 mph rating for my area.  When I put the tower
up I used two 1/4 inch threaded rods for each leg.  They go through the
roof and are tied to 2X8 stringers spanning the roof rafters.

The tower and tribander are undamaged.  I'm convinced now more than ever to
do things "by the book."  You never know what kind of test Mother Nature
might throw at you.

73,

Jay/K4OGG