[TowerTalk] Fwd: your recommendation?

Texas RF TexasRF@aol.com
Thu, 16 Apr 1998 08:45:09 EDT

Doc, K7SO writes about stacking beams on a Rohn 68 ft tiltover tower.

Assuming he is referring to the Rohn Foldover tower, there is a weight limit
of about 100 pounds for these models. The TH6DX antenna, rotor and mast alone
will consume the entire  weight capacity of the tower. There is NO SAFTEY
FACTOR in this specification and we have seen several towers buckle just above
the foldover hinge by exceeded this limit only slightly!

In fact, in one case the weight limit was not exceeded but there was a long
mast with a small vertical on top that caused the total overturning moment to
exceed the tower capacity and the tower buckled at raising time.

Note that this specification comes into play while raising the tower from
horizontal to vertical and has nothing to do with wind speed or wind load.

If you want to install a Rohn Foldover tower, please contact us to discuss the
configuration as we have the experience and computer software to properly
analyze these towers. Telephone 1 800 272 3467 M-F 9AM-5PM, Sat 9AM-1PM.

FYI, Tnx/73 de Gerald Williamson, K5GW, Owner/General Manager, Texas Towers