[TowerTalk] Oxidized R7-what to do?

Jon Schmidt schmidtj@ix.netcom.com
Sat, 18 Apr 1998 17:55:33 -0700

Hi Gang,

I live very near the Pacific Ocean in Southern California, and have began to see some problems with
my R7 Vertical whaic has been up for about 2 years.  I noticed that the SWR would jump around from
1:1 to 4:1 or worse while fed with RF, particularly at higher power levels (500+ Watts).  Upon
inspection, I see that the whole antenna is covered with a white dust powder, and it pretty heavy in
some places.  I assume that this is just aluminum oxide.  I am going to take this vertical down and
clean it up, but what would you recommend as a good way to clean (steel wool) and what to use in the
reassembly and post assembly (Anti-ox joint grease and clear Krylon)?

I don't want to have to do this job every two years, so all of your help will be appreciated!

                                        73's

                                        Jon  WD8JSA
                                        San Clemente, CA