[TowerTalk] Best Antenna Wire ?

Press W Jones n8ug@juno.com
Tue, 21 Apr 1998 10:23:36 EDT

Simple, Joe - The best all around antenna wire is, and has been, solid,
30% copperclad steel. It has the right combination of tensile strength
and copper /steel ratio for long life and excellent signal propagation.
It is also quiet - no strands to harbor water, salt, acid rain, etc.
Finally, it is the cheapest of the quality antenna wire made. It is
available in a number of gauges, the most popular being 18 and 14, since
they will "do it all" from short and experimental, to long and permanent.
12 is a distant runner up and only used where referenced to some archaic
code restrictions might apply and sometimes in the erroneous assumption
that bigger is always better.
True, the larger gauges are more difficult to erect, and not a good
choice for temporary and/or portable applications, but for permanency,
they have no equal.
There are many stranded antenna wires out there as well, from 7 to
hundreds of strands, bare and jacketed, CCS and pure copper, for every
need you might have, so the choice is yours.

For the sales pitch:  Yes, we have them all, from the solid CCS to the
limp and lovely
"Flex-Weave" (tm) by Davis RF, and all in between, and we'll be happy to
detail each and help you decide.
73,
Press Jones, N8UG, The Wireman, Inc., Landrum, SC 29356
use n8ug@juno.com or (864) 895-4195 for tech help
orders only use 800-727-WIRE(9473) or cqwire@juno.com
www.thewireman.com      Bargains + Hamfest schedule at
THE WIRE LINE(http://thewireman.com/wireline.html)

On Tue, 21 Apr 1998 00:45:40 EDT W5ASP <W5ASP@aol.com> writes:
>I need some suggestions about antenna wire... what I should look for
>and
>where to look for it.
>
>I've been asked to find 800-1000 feet of wire suitable for making any
>of a
>variety of "wire" antennas such as loops, Vees, slopers, etc. for low
>band (160-40 M) use. The wire will be used in a location where high
>winds and ice are not unusual, so tensile strength is important.
>Flexibility is also a factor as trees are the prime means of
>suspension
>and support.
>
>Possibly this has already been disussed and summarized. If so, please
>tell me where to look.
>
>Anyone with ideas of what I should look for and where I can find it,
>please pass it along to: w5asp@aol.com
>
>Thanks,
>
>Joe, W5ASP
>
>--
>Search:                   http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]