[TowerTalk] New Discussion Topic: Dipole secrets

K7LXC K7LXC@aol.com
Mon, 27 Apr 1998 18:04:46 EDT

In a message dated 98-04-27 17:29:57 EDT, k0wa@southwind.net writes:

<< What are your dipole secrets?  The dipole is one of the simplest antennas
in
 ham radio.  What are your secrets of putting up, tuning, pruning and
 operating from a dipole.  Now, don't laugh.  I bet there are some pretty
 good comments out there.

      Well, simple antenna - simple answer. A horizontal dipole works
wonderfully. Droop the ends into an inverted vee or some other configuration
and it won't work as well.

 > How come mine don't work?   >>

      The ends droop? You've got it pointed in the wrong direction?

      After being inactive for the service, college, getting married, etc., I
got the bug to get back on the air. K7WA came over and in a couple of hours we
put up a RS mast and a couple of dipoles (horizontal) fed at the same point
(all connected together). My first contact was JA - I was elated! The entry in
my logbook till reads "WIRES WORK!"   Twenty years later I still remember the
whole dipole episode.

      Trap vertical? We don't need no stinking trap vertical.

Cheers,  Steve  K7LXC