[TowerTalk] Poor Man's Rhombic

W9SN nw9g@netusa1.net
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 20:28:02 -0500

Ward Silver wrote:

> Oh, now this is interesting - so maybe a poor man's rhombic could be made
> from one good-sized support?  Run a slantend wire up from ground level,
> back to ground level, terminate at one end and feed at the other.  Hmmm...
> It might have to be a pretty high support, but Western Wash has some
> pretty sizable Douglas Firs.
>
> Anybody tried this configuration below 20-meters?
>
> 73, Ward N0AX

How about running two of these wires at 35 degs apart going down to 3'
at ground
level at the far end.  Terminate them with resistors then run a wire
from each
of the two wires at the base just below the termination but above the
ground
radials to connect to each other.  Makes a wonderful VEE Beam in the
direction
away from the main support.  I had 5 of these in 5 different directions
coming
down off my 100 ft tower.  Had remote coax switch to steer them.  Worked
great.
Only had 220' long each.  Worked best on higher bands since they were so
short.
Had I owned 30 acres I would make them at 1500 ft long each and own any
band
I wanted.  I still say at times I would beat my TH5 on the tower.  For
the feed,
I used a toroid core with 10 turns on the primary and 20 turns on the
secondary
and fed with 50 ohm coax into the remote switch.  Swr was 1:1 across all
bands
from 7 mhz to 30 mhz.
Good luck and this thread has to beat the compters keeping time to
pieces.

                                Steve Narducci
                     Amateur Radio Station -  W9SN
                          All Ten Tec Equiptment