[TowerTalk] precip static (was402-CD vs. EF-240X)

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 11:09:14

At 07:19 PM 4/29/98 -0400, Kenneth D. Grimm wrote:
>Charles will have to speak to the TH-7, but certainly the Hy-Gain
>monobanders like the 204BA, although having insulated driven elements,
>were at DC ground through the beta match attached to the boom.
>
>Also, in my non-scientific reference to a beam being "quieter" I meant
>the noise generated by atmospheric phenomena, such as "precipitation"
>noise, rather than the man made stuff that might be avoided by an
>antenna being higher in the air.
>
>In my not so humble opinion, there hasn't been sufficient work done on
>the relative "quietness" of various antennas.

Amen ... in earlier discussions, many people have also observed anecdotally
that high antennas are more affected than low ones, and that some
rainstorms are much noisier than others.  Anyone run across a systematic
study in the literature?

Time and again, I've found that one rainstorm will be relatively quiet,
while another (with similar rainfall rate and presence/absence of
lightning) will generate S9 +20 dB noise.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com

"That's WEST Virginia.  Thanks and 73"