[TowerTalk] KT34XA

Luís Teixeira ct4nh@mail.telepac.pt
Thu, 06 Aug 1998 22:15:48 +0200

Hi guys,
Abt 6 months ago I put up a new (brand new) KLM KT34XA, replacing my old
and faithful TH7DX after 20 years of good services. The antenna is at 70
ft high in a metalic tower.The antenna was quite broad following more or
less factory SWR leves.
I've protected all connections with non-conductive compound as I live
about 2 miles away from Atlantic Ocean (I've already used it in my 6 el
10m KLM and also 5 el 20 m mono KLM). The antenna has worked OK (1st
place Single Op 20 m / Europe on last WPX...) and about two months ago I
have quite high SWR:

28.000  1:2
28.100  1:1.9
28.200  1:1.8
28.300  1:1.7
28.400  1:1.6
28.500  1:1.5
28.600  1:1.5
28.700  1:1.5
28.800  1:1.5
28.900  1:1.5

21.000  1:1.7
21.050  1:1.7
21.100  1:1.7
21.150  1:1.6
21.200  1:1.6
21.250  1:1.6
21.300  1:1.6
21.350  1:1.7
21.400  1:1.8
21.450  1:2.0

14.000  1:3.0 (!!!) (before was broad...)
14.050  1:3.2
14.100  1:3.3
14.150  1:3.3
14.200  1:3.3
14.250  1:3.3
14.300  1:3.3
14.350  1:3.6

Above measurements have been made all in the same conditions and I have
tested only : radio directly to the antenna with no other devices in
between, with the same results.
What could have changed??? Where should I begin ??
Is there any (already tested) idea to improve (making them much much
tighter)those connections (between capacitor and straps and also
shorting and jumper straps)??
Appreciate your ideas/experiences about this problem...before next
Contest season hi!
Best 73 de Luis, CT4NH