[Fwd: [TowerTalk] Parting comments]

Kurt Andress ni6w@yagistress.minden.nv.us
Fri, 07 Aug 1998 07:47:46 -0700

Roy Maull wrote:

> SNIP
>      When I started this, I had not read your "more info" post, but the
> question still sort of runs around in my head.  What is the amount of
> tension on a wire guy to pull the wrap wires tight around the core?  It
> seems to me that it might be more than most hams consider when designing or
> considering a tower.  Also, aren't the down load figures quite high (without
> windload) compared to what folks think they are.  I seem to remember a
> couple of boats that about pulled the sides together because they forgot
> this fact when setting the guy tensions:-)

Hi Roy,I don't know exactly what load makes the cables get firm and start to
work. It probably varies a bit with each construction. I'm pretty sure it is
less than 10% of the breaking strength. Rohn specs tell us to pretension the
guys to 10% to make sure the cable is ready to do its job.
Yes, the pretensioning puts vertical loads in the tower before the wind blows.

Somebody must have been asleep when designing that boat.SNIP

>      73.. Roy  N8YYS
>   Keep West Virginia beautiful.. Grow ALUMINUM!!

 A pleasant thought!

73, Kurt

--
YagiStress - The Ultimate Software for Yagi Mechanical Design
Visit http://www.freeyellow.com/members3/yagistress