[TowerTalk] Wire Size and Material

L. B. Cebik cebik@utkux.utcc.utk.edu
Sat, 8 Aug 1998 08:09:07 -0400 (EDT)

Some recent discussions about the potential losses of stainless steel in
some antenna applications and the renewed availability of phosphor bronze
as an antenna material resulted mixed reviews in each case.

So I did a little modeling at the threshold of wire thinness at which
significant losses or changes of performance begin to show up among
materials.  The notes may useful as a method by which anyone can check out
various materials on antenna modeling programs to determine if a material
meets whatever antenna performance specifications or standards that one
sets for a proposed structure.  The notes are not THE answer, since there
is no such thing.  But for any given proposed antenna, there is an answer
suited to the project that one can generate with a little modeling on any
of the programs--MININEC or NEC.

The notes are located in the "Lower HF" collection, second entry, since
the threshold level mostly apply to thinner wire antennas.  I hope they
are useful to someone.

-73-

LB, W4RNL

L. B. Cebik, W4RNL         /\  /\     *   /  /    /    (Off)(423) 974-7215
1434 High Mesa Drive      /  \/  \/\     ----/\---     (Hm) (423) 938-6335
Knoxville, Tennessee     /\   \   \ \   /  / || /      (FAX)(423) 974-3509
37938-4443     USA      /  \   \   \ \       ||              cebik@utk.edu