[TowerTalk] antenna decisions

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 13:08:40 EDT

In a message dated 98-08-07 18:59:26 EDT, Brian.Harris@sv.sc.philips.com
writes:

<< Given the four choices below, which would you recommend?  My goal is
consistent
 stateside QSOs with occasional decent DX'ing.

>> 1.  TH6 @ 70' and three 40m ground mounted phased 1/4 wave verticals in an
     equilateral triangle.

      A bunch of work to install the verticals and get them working IMO. Does
the performance pay off for the investment? Vertical array owners?

>> 2.  PRO67 (latest version) @ 70'   What's the windload in ft^2 for a
PRO-67?

      No comment. A read of our tribander test will definitely give you some
food for thought. More info at http://www.championradio.com.

>> 3.  TH6 @ 62' and 2 element 40m @ 70-72'

>>4.  2 element 40m @ 62' and TH6 @ 70-72'

      I would prefer having the tribander on the top. One reason is that a
larger antenna may have some negative influence on antennas under it. Another
reason is that the larger antennas tend to require more maintenance. Having it
at the bottom makes it easier for removing and reinstalling.

 >>The choice between 3 and 4 would be based upon having the lesser windload
of the
 two up at 70'.  Recommendations and opinions on available 2 element 40m beams
 are welcome.   >>

      No question - the Cushcraft 402CD. These may still be available but the
factory is switching over to the new XM240. (Maybe that TowerTalkian that had
one in his basement would be willing to part with it since he's not using it -
hi.)

Cheers and GL,  Steve  K7LXC

Champion Radio Products
http://www.championradio.com